Monday, April 19, 2010

4/19/10 Artist Post: Steve Shaw






Steve Shaw’s portrait photographs are sexy, strong, beautiful and timeless. Shaw is famously known for his easy-going manner when working with him and for bringing out the sensual side of his subjects. The fitting and easy-going style of his photographs (disregarding his high fashion photographs) is something that I am trying to imitate in my own manner. Also his use of shadows really intrigues me. As a photographer I know that we are supposed to be hyper aware of shadows that are playing within our frame. He seems to utilize shadows a lot throughout his images and it definitely helps to make them stronger. The first thing I am working on is the necessity to be able to shoot a good portrait straight-up without worrying about the frills. Then will come the time where I get to mess around with the smaller details that can be used within a photograph.

The best moment for Shaw is when he knows he has gotten the shot, regardless of whoever is sitting/standing/leaning in front of the lens. “It’s when you just know you’ve gotten something, and that makes me happy. I can see it in someone’s face, and I don’t need to take another shot. I know I’ve got it-that one picture.” This seems to be the same thing that every photographer says about taking portraits.

Website:
http://www.steveshawphotography.com/

Interview:
N/A as it appears Shaw is very secretive.

Gallery:
http://www.redbalcony.com/?gid=327

Video of shoot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXj82noo7Qc

No comments:

Post a Comment