Thursday, September 3, 2009

9/3/09 Word Post: Child


"Children show me in their playful smiles the divine in everyone. This simple goodness shines straight from their hearts and only asks to be lived."
-Micheal Jackson

Going with my new thought process, the word child is the direction that I want to go in. Today I sat down and came up with every word possible I could come up with to describe a child. I then sent out a mass text to almost everybody in my phone and asked them to describe a child as best as they could. The most common answer I recieved back by far was playful. Following closely was niave, energetic, loud, and innocent. The words playful and innocent seems like the obvious choice in trying to describe a child. The image above shows pretty much everything that people used to describe children. They are always acting goofy and crazy.

"But the adult is not the highest stage of development. The end of the cycle is that of the independent, clear-minded, all-seeing Child. That is the level known as wisdom. When the Tao te Ching and other wise books say things like, "Return to the beginning; become a child again" that's what they are referring to. Why do the enlightened seem filled with light and happiness like children? Why do they sometimes even look and talk like children? Because they are. The wise are Children Who Know. Their minds have been emptied of the countless minute somethings of small learning and filled with the great wisdom of the Great Nothing, the Way of the Universe."

Benjamin Hoff
Source: The Tao of Pooh

It is known that children are often seen as innocent. They seem to be incredibly carefree, without any real responsibility. This is the stage in life that we all seem to want to return to later. But as children, we can't wait to grow up and get into the "real world." Trying to figure out what exactly it is that I am still trying to hold onto from my childhood will help me figure out the reasoning behind it. I am scared that as I grow older, and become more "responsible" that I will lose the inner child in me and that I will not be able to find her again. What if I lose my curiosity? My creativeness? Maybe I won't but maybe I will just change the way in which I use them.

Hoff, Benjamin. The Tao of Pooh. Penguin Books, Harmondsworth, 1982.

No comments:

Post a Comment